Awesome Panasonic Lumix GH5 Firmware Update v2.0
One of the most controversial cameras on the market, Panasonic Lumix GH5, is getting an awesome firmware update! The v2.0 firmware has combined some previously-planned enhancements by Panasonic with additional modifications suggested by the users of this camera. Every single owner of the GH5 has been waiting for updates and improvements by Panasonic in order to have a true masterpiece in their hands.
Well recently, Panasonic announced that the GH5 firmware update v2.0 to come out out by the end of September.
They have made improvements on both – photo and video aspects of the camera. Of the new added features, the ones that stick out are improvements to the autofocus system, tethered shooting, and the addition of a new video mode: 4:2:2 10-bit All-Intra 4K/FHD video.
The autofocus is the most controversial feature of the GH5, and most often the deal breaker for this camera. Nevertheless, it looks like with the new firmware update the autofocus will be getting an overhaul.
New 4:2:2, 10-bit ALL-Intra Recording Mode
4k, 400mbps, 4:2:2, 10-bit, ALL-I. GH5 users have been patiently waiting for this feature since Panasonic teased about recording in this format. Currently, the GH5 uses the Long GOP compression format, which includes some disadvantages since a bit of visual information gets thrown away. We’re not receiving all the possible data for each frame.
With ALL-Intra, each frame retains all of its information. This allows for higher quality footage but at the cost of storage space. Panasonic recommends the SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 60 or greater.
ALL-I will be available across resolutions, and the highest frame rate available with ALL-I will be 59.94 at 1080p.
For all new features included in GH5 firmware update v2.0, check out the press release from Panasonic below:
1. Compatibility with “LUMIX Tether” PC software
This new firmware enables GH5 tethered shooting via USB, using “LUMIX Tether” PC software. Users can control the camera by connecting it to a PC via USB. It lets you view the image on a large PC screen while shooting, which is helpful in commercial photoshoots of portraits, products and so on, where continuous confirmation is required. You can use [6K PHOTO] [4K PHOTO] and start and stop video recording with the tethered shooting. It is also possible to choose the folder to save the image files in the PC.
2.Improved auto focus performance
– Auto focus performance for subjects with low contrast in photo shooting is improved.
– Tracking auto focus performance in video recording is improved.
– The customized AF area can be continuously displayed in [Multi AF] and [Custom Multi AF] during live-view.
– The AF area in [Multi AF] can be moved to the other edge (side, top or bottom) when it reaches one edge.
– The start point of AF lock can be set on the live view screen in advance in [AF Tracking].
– The AF area can be moved while the shutter button is half-pressed or while recording in [Burst Mode], [6K PHOTO] and [4K PHOTO].
3. Improved performance in [6K PHOTO] and [4K PHOTO]
– The waiting time to start the next burst shooting sequence after [6K Burst] and [4K Burst] is shortened to less than half the time.
– [Loop Rec] is available in [6K PHOTO]
– Use of Panasonic SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 90 is recommended for [Loop Rec] of [6K PHOTO].
4. An additional ALL-Intra Video Recording mode
– 4:2:2,10-bit ALL-Intra video recording mode is added to 4K/FHD video recording.
– Use of SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 60 or higher is recommended for 4K ALL-Intra video recording. Operation is confirmed with Panasonic SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 90.
New 4:2:2,10-bit ALL-Intra Recording Mode – GH5 firmware update v2.0
Photo from Panasonic
5. 4K HDR video recording
– [HLG] (Hybrid Log Gamma) is added to [Photo Style]. HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a mode to reproduce both bright part and dark part in an image, making it look just as human eyes see. The camera records video with a designated gamma curve compatible with ITU-R BT.2100, and you can now choose Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) in [Photo Style].
– A low-bit-rate recording mode 4K HEVC for HLG was added. This enables playback on AV equipment compatible with the HEVC compression format, such as Panasonic 4K HDR TVs.
6. Enhancement of the Anamorphic video recording mode
– High-Resolution Anamorphic mode, which enables video recording in 18-mega effective pixels, is added. *Recorded in HEVC
New High-Resolution Anamorphic Mode – GH5 firmware update v2.0
*1 “High Resolution Anamorphic Mode” records motion picture with an aspect ratio suited for an anamorphic lens,4:3. The effective picture size for this mode is equivalent to the number of pixels produced by 6K (approx. 6,000 (horizontal)k3,000 (vertical)) images (approx. 18 megapixels).
*2 High resolution Anamorphic mode
– [Anamorphic Desqueeze Display] was added, which lets you view an enlarged image in Cinescope size while recording with 2.0x and 1.33x Anamorphic lens.
– [Video Guide Line] is added to display the image in a variety of aspects, such as Cinescope, 16:9 and 1:1 while recording video. This can be used not only in Anamorphic mode but also in other video recording mode.
7. Enhancement of Body I.S. (Image Stabilizer)
– [I.S. Lock(video)] is added. This powerfully compensates for handshake when the viewing angle is fixed.
– A new handshake correction mode is added, which provides optimum correction when using 2.0x and 1.33x Anamorphic lens.
8. Correction of white balance setting
– When the K (Kelvin) value was changed after adjusting the color temperature with 2-axis white balance compensation, the setting was reset. This bug has been fixed.
9. Improved usability of Time Lapse Shot
– The time to finish shooting and the number of recordable pictures are displayed on the stand-by screen.
10. Improved usability of Power Save LVF
– Power Save LVF can now be used during all stand-by display options.
11. Wireless functions
– The Bluetooth Remote Control function can be used with Image App, which will also be updated at the same timing with the GH5 firmware release.
– If the camera has not completed image transmission when it is turned off, it restarts transmission when it is turned on with the [Auto Transfer] function.
12. Other improvements
– A rating function using an Fn button is available in Playback Zoom and Multi Playback.
– The following functions can be assigned to Fn buttons – [Constant Preview] [6K/4K PHOTO Bulk Saving] [Min. Shtr Speed] [RAW Processing] [Rec/Playback Switch] [Destination Slot] and [Mic Level Adj.].
The DISP.Button can be locked.
– In Relay Rec, there were cases where the video file number was not able to be reset. This bug has been fixed.
– In Relay Rec, there were cases where the video file number was reset after formatting the SD Memory Card. This bug has been fixed.
– In Backup Rec, there were cases where the file number was not reset even after applying resetting. This bug has been fixed.
– The image quality when applying the following settings is improved: Extended low ISO, [i.Dynamic] (Intelligent D-range Control) and Highlight Shadow.
This is the official info provided by Panasonic regarding the Lumix GH5 firmware update v2.0. We hope you like what you have read. We can’t wait to get the update and play around with the camera. What about you? Are you excited about the GH5 firmware update v2.0? Drop us a comment below.
Tuts and Reviews is a photography & filmmaking resource site. We find and feature freebies that we have found around the web from trusted sites and photographers as well as video or film creators. Make sure to browse our listing in the Freebies section! We also create our own digital products (free & paid) which you can check in our shop.